University Employees- Additional Compensation

As a not-for-profit public benefit corporation, the University Corporation employs people who help it further its initiatives. UCorp employment is not employment with the State of California. Our employees work in a host of settings, on a range of projects, in various positions, and under different scenarios. We work closely with our colleagues at SF State to ensure that when we employ people to work with UCorp, we do so in a manner that is equitable, consistent with State law and university policy, and in the best interests of both UCorp and SF State.

In some instances, university employees may receive compensation for work performed through UCorp. This may be in addition to the employee’s base pay obtained as a university employee.


In any such instance, this must be approved in advance by the UCorp project director, the applicable university vice president, university Human Resources, and various UCorp personnel.  Additionally, the work for which additional compensation is requested must be different from a university employee’s current assignment with the university.  

The establishment of a relationship between UCorp and a university employee, in any instance, requires the following:

  • Completion of the applicable documentation before work has commenced;
  • Approval of a university vice president, and if applicable a college dean, as well as the Executive Director of UCorp and other UCorp personnel who verify that the funds exist to support the payment. University Human Resources must also approve;
  • Adherence to the obligations set out in the Employee Manual.

Employment Categories

The mechanisms in which UCorp may compensate university personnel consist of the following:

Special Consultant

A special consultant is an individual hired as an employee of UCorp and appointed to work under general direction to complete an assignment that requires the consultant's particular knowledge, ability or expertise. Special consultants may be classified as either exempt or non-exempt from overtime and their compensation is calculated accordingly. The consultancy is for a set a period of time not to exceed ninety (90) days; an employee working for a longer period of time should be hired as a regular employee, as described more fully below.

A special consultant’s pay with UCorp cannot exceed 25% per year of her or his state earnings. For illustrative purposes, a state employee earning $75,000 cannot earn more than an additional $18,750 (25% of $75,000) from UCorp that year. 

Special consultants must be certified as eligible to work under the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA); are covered by workers compensation and unemployment insurance through UCorp. As UCorp employees must serve one year before participating in the retirement plan, special consultants are not eligible to participate.  Special consultants may be subject to Social Security and/or Medicare deductions. They do not accrue benefits such as sick leave, vacation, health and dental benefits.


Complete a Special Consultant Request for Payment Form and attach a description of the duties to be performed.  If the person has not been previously paid as an employee or special consultant through the UCorp, please complete the affirmative action, I-9, and W-4 form, which are all available in the Forms section of the UCorp website. Please direct any questions to Mark Angstman, UCorp’s Human Resources Coordinator.


An honorarium is a one-time payment to compensate an individual for providing a service beyond her or his regular and customary job duties.


Complete an Honorarium Request, attach a resume, curriculum vitae, or bio, and forward it to UCorp for review, approval and payment.  If the person receiving the honorarium is not already in our system, they will need to complete a Form W-9. Please direct any questions to Ricardo Angeles, UCorp’s Program and Administration Manager.

Regular UCorp Employment

Full-time faculty may be eligible for employment as a UCorp employee, but solely during intersession periods when the faculty member is not working for the university (i.e., January and summer).


Please complete the full employment packet and work closely with UCorp personnel. The packet is available in the Forms section of the UCorp website.  Please direct any questions to Mark Angstman, U Corp’s HR coordinator.